Saint John the Evangelist School first opened in 1960. The Stuyvesant School originally occupied the property. In 1949, the Stuyvesant School closed due to fires, dwindling enrollment, and the retirement of its founder.
Father Robert E. O’Kane became the new owner of the building and founded St. John the Evangelist School. The school opened in 1960, headed by the Benedictine Sisters. Initially, St. John’s had an enrollment of 63 students and held classes for Kindergarten through Fourth grade.
In 1968, the Sisters of Notre Dame became the new administrators of St. John’s. By 1978, Seventh and Eighth grade classes had been added to the school. In the spring of 1997, the Sisters of Notre Dame left St. John’s. It has since been staffed by lay personnel.